by Tanya

TanyaHirst #RUBLOGS Savage Beauty...fun with fear. http://papnvleis.blogspot.com/

A random opportunity presented itself to me not too long ago...I was invited by one of my best friends to the quarry just beyond the campus fence. The idea sounded like a lot of fun and a new experience is always welcome.

With the wind blowing like I have never seen it do in Grahamstown, we missioned out of the electric gate behind Cullen Bowles House and out into the open veld. It was freezing, but the walk got some blood flowing and my toes slowly regained consciousness. Upon arriving at the huge gaping hole in the ground that is the quarry, I suddenly remembered why I am (selectively) afraid of heights...nothing to strap you in, nothing to prevent you from falling...splat. Not cool. Aside from the fear itself, the wind was vicious in its attempts to blow anything and everything off the top of the cliff, including me. Therefore, the climb down onto the ledge overhanging the gorge below proved to be a rather challenging feat, luckily, my friend had been to the quarry before and was there to help me out, or actually make sure my feet stayed on solid ground.

The experience is not one that I am likely to repeat anytime soon, the climb was both extremely frightening and brilliant all at the same time. Sitting out in the complete silence was something rarely found in Res or around campus, so it was pretty amazing to look out into the open pit while sheltered by the surrounding rocks as the wind attempted to rip the surroundings from the ground...savagely beautiful. There is nothing better than spending time with someone out in a completely neutral space, not having to say a word and still feeling like there is so much being said, especially since this friend and I had been fighting for a few weeks prior to the visit to the quarry. It was intense to see the damage done by whoever had mined the land to leave the quarry but at the same time, it was much appreciated as a place of total retreat for the random soul.

0 comments:

Who Are We ??


A mixture of the funky and vibrant talent that S.A. students have to offer.

Pap n' Vleis is the fusion of a dynamic culture, opinionated professionalism and outright craziness.

Prepare to have your boundaries shattered !!

Search This Blog

Followers